How do you ensure that you choose the right marketing consultant?
That might get you scratching your head! Too many people describe themselves as ‘marketing consultants’, but effective marketing today requires an extensive set of skills and experience which few have. There are too many amateur marketers who think they know marketing but, in our opinion, do not.
You won’t understand a marketer who talks jargon-filled textbook theory. You can’t trust the advice of a marketer full of ideas but no marketing qualifications or track record.
Marketing should be multi-channel
And, in today’s multi-channel world, you shouldn’t be tempted by the advice of a marketer who only specialises in one narrow area of marketing such as PR, sales or advertising. Guess what they’ll recommend you need to do? “You need a PR campaign…, help with your sales…, an advertising campaign!”
A good marketing consultant needs:
- To work daily with digital and traditional channels, and be able to move seamlessly from thinking to doing, from strategy to execution.
- To have a practical understanding of strategy and planning.
- To have a strong blend of marketing experience, qualifications, professional accreditations and integrity.
- To have the right chemistry to work with you as part of your team.
- To know from their experience what works, and where your budget would be wasted. They have already learnt from their mistakes.
- To be a marketing consultant, he or she should have a professional marketing qualification and take part in continuous professional development (CPD). They should also be a chartered marketer and should have a highly respected digital marketing qualification.
The marketer should be relaxed about sharing their experience and advice with you initially at no charge, so that you can get to know them without any obligation. That’s why we offer a Free Real Marketing Fitness Test, a Free Real Marketing Audit or a Free Web & SEO Review.
At Real Marketing, we know how to make your marketing budget work very hard, and often find that new clients have been wasting marketing budgets by spending on the wrong activities. We clarify their strategy and ensure their budget is spent in the right areas.
See our client success stories. Meet our partners.
A good marketer will have a portfolio of client success stories, and should be relaxed about giving you access to their clients for references. Just ask us.
The consultant should be able to recommend excellent graphic designers, web developers and SEO specialists, but should also be prepared to work with your own creative partners. See some of Real Marketing’s talented, trusted partners.
To see if we could be the marketing specialists you need, please contact Christopher Lamotte for a conversation with no obligation (via the form below or on 07957 870071).