Are you worried that you waste money on advertising? Would you be better investing in other types of promotion?
Too many businesses get poor returns from traditional adverts, particularly in printed media (and online adverts can also be wasteful).
Adverts are sometimes seen as the easy route to finding new customers, but in today’s multi-channel world they can be an old fashioned approach, which is expensive and often delivers poor returns.
(And please don’t confuse ‘advertising’ with other promotional techniques. The term is often misused).
In your marketing plan, be clear about which trade or consumer media are read by your customers and prospects; only consider running advertising campaigns in those. We recommend to our clients that any campaigns should be very focused.
Say ‘No’ to advertising sales calls even when they tempt you with heavily discounted rates: “the effect on sales is extremely hard to measure” (CIM).
Why spend fortunes on press adverts when there are so many other marketing techniques which deliver higher returns?
However, where appropriate adverts should be in your marketing toolkit.
The key advantages of adverts are:
- Developing brand awareness and values.
- To differentiate and (re-) position brands.
- To reinforce brand messages.
- To persuade audiences to think and change their behaviour.
- For sales with direct response mechanisms.
- Advertising messages do give you a higher degree of control than compared to public relations.
Read our blog ‘Are you wasting money on advertising? You’re not alone.’Contact Us